Wednesday, September 24, 2014

First Soup of the Season!

I love soup, but I am one of those people who enjoys soup most when it is cold, chilly, or rainy (or when I'm not feeling well!), so sometimes that means waiting a little while after fall has actually started to make soup for the first time because fall weather in the south is not always as cool as I would like it to be.  However, this year fall was a little more cooperative ;)  Yesterday was a nice chilly first day of fall and today was rainy and chilly which made for a great day to try this year's first new soup!  I decided to go with an easy, comfort food type soup.  Most of my soups this year will most likely be crock pot, because there just isn't enough time in the day! Now for tonight's soup...

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Here is the link to the recipe

Changes I made...
Instead of cutting up "real" potatoes I used the southern style or diced hash browns.
I added onions (probably about a cup of frozen ones).
I did use canned cream of chicken soup instead of making the homemade version.  I had to use more than one cup of water, because I used the family size can instead of buying two small cans.
I added spices...1/2 tsp each of pepper, parsley, garlic powder, thyme, and mustard.  I didn't add salt because canned soup can be salty, but I did put some seasoning salt on it after tasting it and thinking it needed just a little something else.  You can play with the spices and see what flavor you like.
I didn't need to thicken mine at all.

We enjoyed our soup with Grands biscuits and some apple cider.  I think this soup was a good start to this year's soup season! :)



No comments: