Monday, September 15, 2014

Relaxation Corner and More...

Here are some cool things that I made for my relaxation corner and the links where I got ideas and instructions from.



This bottle is simple, but so cool.  The rice falling through the toothpicks sounds similar to a rain stick.  I love the calming sound.  There are many bottle ideas on this site that I hope to try someday.


These glitter bottles are so cool!  There are many different "recipes" for them, but I liked this one the best.  I'm not sure that I followed it exactly, but I think I stuck to it for the most part.  Mine don't look exactly like hers, but I'm happy with how they turned out.


I love these sensory bags!  Some students won't like the texture, but others will love them.  The bags are filled with hair gel (I bought cheap stuff at the Dollar Tree) and other items including beads, confetti, and glitter.  I double bagged mine just in case!  The site has instructions for these, the balloons (below), and other things.


I filled my balloons with salt, rice, and two different kinds of beans ( I can't think of which kinds at the moment :/), so that they are different textures.  I wish they were a little bigger, but they still turned out pretty well.


I bought some other things at the Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart (pinwheels, play doh, rubik's cubes, slinkies, and squishy toys) to include in my corner.  I got the shelf at Wal-Mart and love how it all came together.  (I have some games on the bottom shelf now.)


I didn't explain in my last post what all is housed here in this area.  The baskets contain coloring books, puzzles, and folders of other activity sheets.  I love art, so I have a variety of art supplies to use with my students.  I got the cute chairs at a store called 5below for $5 each!!  I also love books, so I had to order new books to start my "counselor books" collection.  Some of them are pictured below.  I ordered them all from Amazon.



I found a student referral form online (I can't find the link to it right now).  I wanted one that was easy enough for the students to fill out themselves, because I didn't want to give the teachers another thing that they needed to do.  If a student wants to see me, they ask for a form to fill out and then have the teacher sign it so I know that they have permission to be in my office.  I like color coding, so I copied them on 3 different colors of paper.  I gave the teachers some to keep in their classrooms, but I also have some in baskets outside of my office.  If I am not in my office or unavailable then the students leave the notes in the box, so that I know to meet with them when I am free.  The notes are helpful for me when keeping track of who I have seen and for what reasons.


There were a variety of ideas out there for ways to introduce yourself to the students, but none of them seemed quite right for me.  As I mentioned, I enjoy art, so I created this poster using pictures to depict different things about my life.  In each classroom, I held up the poster for the students to look at and then asked them to tell me things that they thought they knew about me just from looking at the pictures.  They seemed to really enjoy it and some of them even created their own pictures about themselves to share with me.

Happy Counseling!

No comments: