Thursday, December 5, 2013

Still Have Turkey?

I know most of you have probably finished any leftovers you had from Thanksgiving, but we still have some turkey, so turkey soup seemed like a great idea.  (We had saved the carcass too in case we did want soup.) The magazine that I usually use has a couple of different recipes for turkey soup, but I didn't like them as is so I combined and created my own version.  I think it turned out pretty yummy and will probably be even better tomorrow after the seasonings have a chance to infuse the soup with flavor.
Here's the recipe...

Turkey Noodle Soup

Broth:
1 leftover turkey carcass
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
2 small carrots, cut into chunks (I used about 6 baby carrots)
1 rib of celery cut into chunks
6 to 8 garlic cloves (I used a couple of teaspoons of diced garlic)
4 quarts of water (I just filled my pot, so I'm not sure how much I actually used)

Put all of the ingredients in a large pot.  Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 3-4 hours (I forgot to put mine on until late last night, so I only boiled mine for 2 hours.)  Cool slightly and then drain broth.  Discard bones and vegetables.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Soup:
Bag of egg noodles
1 cup of chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
1 medium onion, chopped or diced
3 cups cooked turkey
1/4 cup fresh parsley (Wal-Mart didn't have any fresh when I was there, so I just used dried.)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons ground thyme
Broth

Skim fat off broth.  Add vegetables, meat, and spices.  Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Add noodles and simmer until noodles are tender.

I thought it was rather simple and delicious.  (If you don't have any turkey or a carcass, you could easily use chicken and chicken broth.)




No comments: