Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Yum!! Favorite Soup So Far!!

Two thumbs up for tonight's new soup!  I wish I could take credit for making this soup up, but it's another recipe from my favorite Taste of Home soup magazine.  It was warm and delicious...perfect for a cool, fall night!  If you haven't tried any of the other recipes, I think you should try this one!

Chicken Wild Rice Chowder
(The recipe said it only makes 4 servings.  I like to have leftovers for lunches, so I made double.  I'll give the original recipe amounts and then let you know how I changed the recipe.)
2 cups sliced fresh carrots (I used shredded carrots that I had leftover from the potato soup that we had last week.  I think they are great for soup.  I didn't double the carrots, because I thought that 2 cups was enough.)
1/2 cup each chopped onion and celery (I used the frozen onions that I had left.  I like that I don't have to chop them and get watery, stinging eyes, but I don't know if they have as strong of a taste as fresh ones.  I did use a cup of each of these.)
2 tbsp butter (I used 4 tbsp of the light stick margarine that I had in the fridge.)
3 tbsp all-purpose flour (Just doubled it.)
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (I used 2 cartons of the reduced sodium broth.)
2 2/3 cups cubed chicken breast (I put 3 breasts in the crock pot with some water and seasonings then allowed it took cook all day so it would be shredded.  I prefer shredded chicken in my soups.)
1 package (8.8 oz) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice (I used 2 packages of Uncle Ben's.)
1/4 cup half-and-half cream (Just doubled)
1/8 tsp pepper
I also added some other spices like parsley and garlic powder.

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, onions, and celery in butter until tender.  Stir in flour until blended then gradually add the broth.  Bring to a boil then cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in the chicken, rice, cream, and pepper/seasonings.  Heat through.

We enjoyed some wheat rolls with our soup and it was delicious!  Enjoy!!




No comments: