Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Message Board Project

Here's another project for you to try :)

I had some wood tile boards left from a project I had done for Christmas presents and I was trying to think of something fun to do with them, so I figured out a way to use some supplies I had already had in order to make something fun.

Supplies:
Wooden tile board (You can get them at Wal-Mart and Michael's.)
Cork (I had purchased a pack of 4 cork tiles for another project and I had some leftovers that I could use.)
Sheet metal (I bought a sheet at Lowe's awhile back - it was fairly inexpensive)
Gloves (you have to be careful when you handle the sheet metal because the edges can be sharp)
Scissors (they need to be able to cut the cork and sheet metal)
Chalkboard paint
Craft glue
Wood glue
Marker
Paintbrush


First I used one of the tiles to trace onto the cork and sheet metal and then cut the squares out (I did 3 of each material).  I used the craft glue to adhere the cork and metal to the wood squares and then placed them under a heavy tote as they dried.  Then I painted the remaining three squares with chalkboard paint according to the directions on the bottle.


The directions said to lightly rub the chalkboard surface with chalk in order to condition it.  This is what my squares looked like after I did that step.


I wanted the squares to be securely adhered to the board, so I bought some wood glue to try instead of the regular craft glue.  It seems to have done the trick, but I guess only time will tell ;)


I played around with different tile arrangements before deciding on a layout that I liked best.  Once I chose a layout, I glued the tiles onto the board and then placed it under the same heavy tote while it dried.  I am very happy with how it turned out!  I made a set of fabric covered button magnets to use.  (I chose not to paint the outside edge, but that is definitely an option.)


Happy crafting!  And as always, please share if you give it a try :)



No comments: