Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fall Weather is Here and the Soup is Cooking!

I decided to switch up my blog again and change it back to a misc blog instead of just a craft blog.  We'll see if I am any better at keeping up with this one ;)  We'll also see if anyone else reads this one... :)

Today is the first October day that feels like fall.  It was gloomy for most of the day, but I loved the chilly air!!  I decided it was the perfect day to start making soup (I love soup, but it's just not as fun to eat when it's hot outside!), so I made a trip to Wal-Mart to get some ingredients to whip up a pot of taco soup!  While it was cooking I looked through some soup recipes and found so many that I can't wait to try!  My goal right now is to make a new soup each week and I will share the recipe here just in case you want to try the soup too! If you have a favorite soup recipe, I'd love it if you shared!

My Taco Soup Recipe isn't anything that different from most of the ones that you've probably seen (tho most of the recipes call for ground beef, I prefer chicken in mine.  I think it gives the soup a better flavor.)  Sorry my measurements for this soup aren't precise.  I've been making it for awhile, so I just kinda throw it all together.

Chicken (I throw a couple of breasts in the crockpot with some salsa and let it cook until the chicken is easy to shred.)
Beans - Today I used one can of light red kidney and one can of black.  Sometimes I use chili beans.  You can use whatever combination you prefer.
One can of corn
Canned tomatoes - I used 2 of the Great Value brand Tex Mex tomatoes
Packet of taco seasoning
Chopped onion - I used about a half an onion tonight.
I put everything in a large pot and then added about 3 cans of water.  You can add more or less water depending on how much "broth" you like.

I eat my soup with a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheese, and crumbled tortilla chips. Yum!!


No comments: